Friday, November 29, 2013

Regionalkompetenz USA, Weihnachtsmarkt, and Some Brownies

Having to go to work the day after Thanksgiving was such a strange feeling! After our Thanksgiving dinner, it felt NOT like a Friday and more like a Monday or Tuesday.

I went to work and everything was normal. In the afternoon, beginning at 1:45 p.m., I sat in on a U.S.A. regional competence course for students interested in going abroad, or actually going abroad this coming semester.

It was such an interesting experience to hear about my country from a non-native. I couldn't help but laugh at some of her observations because they were so true. My favorite was her description of Americans:

"They're just very indirect. Where we (Germans) would say 'Nope! You're crazy!' the Americans would say 'Oh, well maybe!' or 'You could be right...'"

 The students also asked me all kinds of questions about being from the States. I had discussions about classes (homework COUNTS in the States), alcohol (no, you can't carry open bottles of alcohol in public and most likely can't drink in the dorms), and about traveling while in America.

I had to leave early to tutor one of my tuttees, but I actually wish I could have stayed longer. I was fascinated! I also love talking about my Valpo/American experiences.

I tutored my tuttee for our normal hour, and then I met a few friends downtown. The Christmas market is up and running and we walked through it for the first time.

Reutlingen Weihnachtsmarkt

The market was nice! I got a rotwurst, tried some of the Glühwein, and ate a delicious waffle with Nutella.

The food was great, and I cannot wait to get a closer look at some of the other products that they're selling in the market.

Later in the evening, I ha gotten into my pjs a bit early and was watching a movie when I got a call from Chris - I ended up heading upstairs with some tea to hang out with Julia, Chris, and Joe for a little bit. Julia made her fantastic brownies :) Overall, a fantastic and relaxing night with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment